Warning!! Fun Halloween party shooter idea ahead!!
This recipe was inspired by Melissa’s Produce, and their Lime Slime Punch. Whenever I think of lime, I think of tequila. That flavor combination goes so well together! And I don’t know about you, but all my friends including myself, have thrown a party or two for Halloween – it’s always the best party of the year, but I’m always in need of creepy party ideas. Well, I’ve got you covered this time!
Jello shooters always seem to be involved too, so I came up with this fun recipe, which doesn’t use any weird un-natural gelatinous ingredients. This is all-natural, baby!
You may be wondering what those delightful “cups” are too. These are called “Rambutans“, which grow on trees mostly in tropical climates. The seeds are great for use in beauty products, as you can mash them into a paste, and apply to your face to gain an even, clear complexion. Regular use will make your skin soft and healthy. The fruit itself is high in vitamin C, is full of fiber, has antiseptic qualities, and will help kill intestinal parasites1. We’re only using the shell of them in this recipe, but save that fruit, and use it to snack on, and crush those seeds for after the party!
Chia seeds are the main event, and have so many health benefits, that I’d have to do it justice in another post. A brief overview is that they’re good for hydration, fights cancer, good for heart health, builds strong bones, and the list goes on. 2 For the purposes of this recipe, we are taking advantage of their water-holding abilities. Chia seeds can hold 12 times their weight in water! That’s where we get the “slime” in these Tequila Slime Shooters. Once you soak the seeds, they gel up, and are delightfully slimy! Because of the gel, the seed is held in suspension, and looks so cool.
So, while these do contain alcohol, you’re also getting some good health benefits. Maybe they weigh each other out, but one thing is for sure – you’ll have a fun party!
The rambutans are perfect eye shape! It was too good to resist.
Tequila Slime Shooters
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice (about 2-3 Limes)
- 2-3 Drops Green Food Coloring
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Tequila
- 9 Whole Rambutans
- Add water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, and swirl until dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and add the lime juice, green food coloring and Chia seeds. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, and add tequila, stirring until well incorporated.
- To make the rambutan "cups", take a paring knife, and cut through the skin of the rambutan all around, being careful not to cut the flesh of the fruit that lies about 1/8" underneath the skin. Remove the fruit, and reserve for another use.
- Place halves of rambutans on your serving platter, making sure that they're all level. Stir the shooter mixture again, and transfer to a vessel that you can easily pour out of, like a pyrex glass measuring cup (with a spout).
- Carefully pour the shot mixture in the rambutan halves. Serve to your guests!
*Disclaimer: A huge thank you to Melissa’s Produce for providing me with the limes and chia seeds for this post. I was not compensated in any other way, and all opinions are my own.