“I always wanna get fancy!” I tell one of my foodie colleagues on Twitter this afternoon. It’s true. I can never leave well enough alone and have to get fancy with everything. What can I say? I love creating, and pushing my own boundaries with food. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but what I’m learning more and more is that the true art lies in restraint and focus.
What to do with Shishito peppers, you ask? This time, I decided to keep it simple. Burgers are great. Blistered shishito peppers de-glazed with soy sauce are great. Add a lime-kissed aioli, and you have a damn near perfect burger, my friend!
To restraint and focus!
- 1 1/2 Pounds Grass Fed Organic Ground Beef
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 25 Shishito Peppers, stems cut off
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Lime Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 4 Onion Rolls
- Heat two large saute pans, one over high heat for the burgers, and one over medium-high heat for the Shishito Peppers.
- Shape the burgers into 4 equal patties, putting a dimple in the center to prevent burger bulge. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the high heat pan, and cook 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook another 3-4 minutes to your desired done-ness.
- Toss the shishitos with olive oil, and place in the medium-high heat pan, and cook until blistered, 5-7 minutes. Turn on your vent fan (it will get very smoky), add in the soy sauce, and turn off the heat immediately. Stir, as to not burn the peppers.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic, lime zest and juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the burger buns, cover both sides with the aioli, top with burger, and 5 shishito peppers on top. Serve with more shishito peppers on the side*.
*Disclaimer: Melissa’s Produce provided me with the peppers. I was not compensated in any other way. All thoughts are my own.