Hello hello hello!! How is your week going, my love? Now that the delicious festivities are over (for now), it’s time to give our bodies a little extra tender loving care. That’s why I came up with this awesome Southwest Turkey Soup!
I know I talk about a “healthy” lifestyle quite a bit, but the hubbs and I had a conversation recently, and things aren’t always as healthy around here as you might think. We get carried away sometimes, especially around the holidays, but it’s nice to get back on track so we don’t spiral out of control all the way into the new year. Plus, you just feel so much better! Instead of feeling sluggish and weighed down, there’s more of a bounce in your step, and you have more energy!
This comforting soup is chock-full of great veggies, like red & yellow bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and corn. We’ve got beautifying and healthy fats in the avocado, and good protein to keep you satiated while not being too heavy of a dish. It’s also super-quick to make; just chop and drop, then simmer to make sure everything is heated through, and know you’re doing your body a favor!
Fight the bulge,
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, diced (about 2 Cups)
- 1 Zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Yellow Squash, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Cup Frozen Organic Corn
- 1 15 ounce Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Cooked Turkey
- 6 Cups Turkey or Chicken Stock
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Hatch Chile Powder
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Roughly Chopped Cilantro + more for topping
- 2 Avocados, sliced for topping
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat, and add the olive oil.
- While the pan heats, chop the onion, add to the pan, and stir. Repeat with zucchini, yellow squash, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, and corn, stirring frequently, and after each vegetable addition.
- Season with salt, pepper, chile powder, and cayenne pepper, cooking for about one minute, then add in the canned tomatoes, turkey, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of cilantro, and the soup is ready for serving!
- Once in bowls, top the soup with avocado, and more fresh cilantro.
P.S. I’m on Periscope, and I made this lovely turkey soup LIVE TIME! If you’d like to see more recipes made, follow me! My handle is the same as Instagram and Twitter – @DvlWearsParsley! You have to download the app for Android or iPhone.. I don’t think there’s a direct link via web browser.