I’ve not had the privilege to have an authentic Mexican Elote. I see the feeds on Instagram of roasted corn covered with either cotija cheese, or mayonnaise and crushed hot cheetos, and I’ve got to say that I’m feeling a bit cheated. Being vegan sometimes has it’s downfalls.
There was one night though, where I had enough of feeling sorry for my elote depravity, that I decided “no more”. I was going to have my elotes, and that was it. My mind was made up to come up with my own vegan version of it, and to the Hubbs and I’s delight, they were friggin DELICIOUS. I used my recipe for vegan parmesan, adding some Bravado Spice Tex-Mex Cajun spice instead of the salt, garlic, and onion powder.
A drizzle of my vegan crema, then topped with cilantro really brings them home. You feel like royalty, especially when you’ve got a Sublime Craft Michelada by your side.
You don’t need to put them on bamboo skewers if you don’t want to, and down a whole cob by yourself. It does make for a great presentation, and a great instagram photo though!
Follow me on instagram, and if you make this, post with hashtag #thedevilwearsparsley!
Elote Glory Forever,
Vegan Elotes (Mexican Street Corn)
- 4 Ears Fresh Corn de-husked
- 4 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 Recipe Vegan Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon Chile Powder
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Fresh, chopped.
- 12 Bamboo Skewers
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews soaked 2 hours or overnight
- 3/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice Fresh
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Salt
- Soak the cashews in filtered water for two hours or overnight.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender, along with the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth, about 10-20 seconds.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy application!
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high. De-husk the corn while the grill heats up.
- Grill corn for 3-4 minutes per side, or until kernels are slightly charred.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 2 minutes until easy to handle. Cut each ear into three pieces, and spear with wooden bamboo skewer.
- Mix the vegan parmesan with the Tablespoon chile powder, and mix well on a plate. If you're making the vegan parm, omit the salt, onion and garlic powder.
- Roll corn in the butter, then the spicy vegan parmesan. Arrange on a platter, and using a squirt bottle, squirt with the vegan crema. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve!