Saturday is Farmer’s Market day here in the Inland Empire; the trek to Riverside is a welcome ritual. Every Saturday morning, it’s the first thing I do. Generally, there is no breakfast involved beforehand, and I am ravenous by the time I get home.
Today was no exception – and I got right down to work. I procured some awesome Sourdough Bread with Olives from Old Town Bakery, some arugula from Sage Mountain farms, some cherry tomatoes, and some farm fresh, free range, organic eggs from La Bahn Ranch. I had some nitrate free bacon in the fridge, so I sauteed two pieces up in a frying pan, while broiling a slice of bread. Once the bacon was done, I cooked two over medium eggs, and got to building. First we have the toast, then arugula, tomatoes, bacon – top with an egg, and some Kerrygold Reduced Fat Dubliner Cheese. Sprinkle on some fresh basil from the garden, and you have yourself one healthy meal!
Now, I love cheese as much as the next guy, but I have to confess something. I do not like my cheese melted unless it’s in a grilled cheese sandwich or on a pizza. I really think that the cheese loses its flavor a little bit when melted. If I have cheese in my meal, I want to taste it. Had I thrown this open-faced sandwich under the broiler for a second to melt the cheese, the cheese flavor would have been subdued a bit. The freshly shredded cheese you can really TASTE, along with every other ingredient. You get a little more texture in the bite too, as the cheese hasn’t melted into everything else.
Oops! I forgot to put the bacon in the first time around! This side gets two pieces. Muahahahaha!
I know it may sound a little cray cray to not melt the cheese, but give it a shot next time you’re having a sandwich such as this, and let me know how it turns out!
Love from the non-cheese melter,
*Kerrygold sent me some of their products to create some light and healthy recipes. All opinions expressed here are my own.
- 2 Slices Bacon
- 1 Slice Sourdough Oilve Bread, cut in half
- ½ Cup Arugula
- 2 Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Mounded Tablespoons of shredded Kerrygold Reduced Fat Dubliner Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Torn Basil leaves.
- Heat a skillet to medium, and add the bacon.
- While the bacon cooks, toast the bread.
- Cook the bacon until done to your liking, and reserve to a paper towel to drain, leaving the bacon fat.
- Add the eggs to the bacon-pan, and cook however you like them ( I like over medium, so it's about 2-3 minutes per side).
- To build the sandwich, start with the bread, then arugula, tomato, bacon, and eggs. Top with the Kerrygold Reduced Fat Dubliner cheese, and torn basil leaves. Enjoy!