I always enjoy a good salad for lunch these days, but sometimes it’s hard to come up with a combination that tickles your taste buds! The hubby likes this one, so I know it’s a winner.
We start with a bed of spicy arugula procured from the Riverside Farmer’s Market, bitter frisée from my super-awesome neighbor (!! so rad!), and sweet speckled romaine from Redlands Market Night. I’ve never worked with frisée before, so this was a real treat! Then we add sweet black grapes that offset the bitterness of the greens. Crunch is an essential component of any salad, so I threw in some walnuts; for a little creamy decadence, some herbed feta! Finally, the salad packs a protein punch with some lean chicken breast. This salad is super quick to put together, and great for a lunch-time meal.
It’s so fun to get out to your farmer’s markets, mostly because you don’t know what you’ll find! I never knew about speckled romaine before my trip to the market last week. That’s the beauty of it. You may not find exactly what you need for this recipe, but choose some greens that look the freshest! Choose something that you’ve never had before, and expand your greens repertoire. Your body will thank you!
- For The Salad
- 1 Pound Chicken Breasts (about two breasts)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cherry Chipotle Rub
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 Cups Speckled Romaine, cut into 1/4 inch strips (one small head)
- 4 Cups Arugula
- 4 cups Frisee (curly Endive) Cut Into Bite-sized Manageable Pieces
- 2 Cups Black Grapes, halved
- 1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- 4 Ounces Herbed Feta Cheese
- For The Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Butterfly each chicken breast, so you have 4 thin cutlets.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Season the chicken breasts with the chipotle rub and sea salt, cooking on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Set on a plate to rest.
- Mix the three greens, so they are evenly distributed, and divide amongst four bowls.
- Then, divide the grapes, walnuts, and feta between the four bowls.
- Once the chicken is cool, dice into 1/2 inch cubes, and place on top of the salads.
- Mix all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid. Shake until well combined, and drizzle over the salads.