Even though it’s technically still Spring for a few more days, the past few weeks in Southern California boasted temps just shy of triple digits! I don’t know about you, but the parties are in full force – I think we have one every weekend for the next month! You never want to come to a party empty handed, but at the same time, when it’s hot as F$%# outside, you don’t want to spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen.
A couple weekends ago, the Hubbs and I went to a dual graduation party for two of our cousins. Determined make something from scratch (always), I went with the tried and true Broccoli Slaw Salad. You must always have the broccoli, of course. I added shredded carrot & red cabbage for texture, but you also need something sweet and something crunchy. That’s the recipe for a great salad/slaw, and just about everything in general. A good balance of texture and flavor.
BUT, I never like to stick to the rules either. Generally, bacon, cheddar cheese, and a mayo based sauce are mainstays for this dish, but I wanted to get away from those and shake things up a bit. My mind drifted to peanuts, and then to Thai flavors in general, and I ended up with a super tasty Thai-inspired dressing complete with peanut butter, curry paste, and coconut milk! The result was amazing!
The peanut butter lends creaminess and body for the spicy curry to hold on to, and the coconut milk gives a sweet depth of flavor that is perfect to bring out the sweet bits of dried apricot in the dish.
Very very good and refreshing, not to mention that it will withstand those hot temps unlike the mayo variety!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #theDevilWearsParsley and share with me on instagram! I want to see what you’re whipping up in your kitchens!
Thai Broccoli Salad
- 3 Cups Broccoli Florets cut small
- 2 Cups Shredded Broccoli Stalk
- 1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Dried Apricot, diced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts
- 1/4 Cup Scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Red Thai Curry Paste
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (canned)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
Make The Sauce
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When the oil shimmers in the pan, it should be up to temperature, then add the curry paste, and cook for 30 seconds, breaking it up in the pan with a wooden spoon, and mixing with the oil to cook for a bit. Then add the peanut butter, and mix thoroughly, cooking for about 30 seconds more. Add the salt, sugar, coconut milk, and rice wine vinegar. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking to thoroughly combine.
- Add the mixture to a small bowl, and cover. Place it in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the vegetables for the salad.
For The Salad
- In a very large bowl, add the broccoli florets, shredded broccoli stalk, cabbage, carrot, apricot, cilantro, basil, and peanuts. Toss well to combine.
- Pour the spicy peanut dressing over the vegetables, and toss well to combine. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, top the salad with sliced scallions.