Memorial Weekend is upon us, and we have nowhere to go. That doesn’t mean we can’t picnic outside by ourselves! I set out to create a recipe that is not only a quintessential picnic and celebration side dish, but also one that had a little twist.
Yes, I’m talkin’ beets! I can’t get enough of them, but you probably knew that already. They are good for you too! They help stimulate liver function and oxygenate the blood. They are very alkaline too, which helps to balance your body’s Ph levels, and essentially makes your bones healthier as a result. Why not put them in a macaroni salad? Plus, it gives this salad a delightful pink hue.
Melissa’s Produce has a great product to make this super quick. Their steamed beets have really changed my life, particularly because I love beets so much. Whenever I open a pack, it’s like a dare to not pop a whole one right in my mouth, and chow down. I always lose the dare, and give in! I put the whole pack in, so there’s a beet for every bite. You could easily double this recipe, and use one pack, but if I were you, I’d go for it, and add two packs!
You could roast your own beets too, if that’s your jam. The Melissa’s Steamed Beets are just so great in a pinch. Well, that’s pretty much it. A basic, vegan macaroni salad with a twist. It’s delicious, and has things that are good for you in it! Enjoy!
*DISCLAIMER: This post contains affiliate links with Amazon. If you click any of the above links, I get a portion of the proceeds of any purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your continued support! It helps keep The Devil Wears Parsley around, and I love being here rockin’ with you!
Beet Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces Macaroni Shells
- 1 Package Melissa's Steamed Beets , sliced and quartered
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion , finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery , finely diced
- 1/4 Cup Green Olives , finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley , fresh & chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dill , fresh & finely chopped
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper , freshly cracked
- Boil macaroni pasta as per package directions
- In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, lemon juice, red onion, celery, green olives, parsley, salt, pepper, and beet juice from Melissa's Steamed Beets Package.
- When the pasta is tender, drain in a colander and add to a large bowl. Add in sliced and quartered Melissa's Steamed Beets, and mayonnaise mixture. Mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Serve chilled.