Last year was my best friend’s 30th birthday. The big 3-0 is always just that – BIG, so that meant throwing a party of BIG proportions for her! I got the honor of being the host, which also meant that I got to cook! I’m the sick, sadistic friend that loves to take on crazy cooking projects whenever a party is involved. I go nuts. I don’t get much sleep. It’s absolutely wonderful.
When I get the chance to cook for people, I always try to keep it light and healthy (most of the time). I even sneak in an obscure ingredient here and there to bump up the health factor. There is no need for this when making Giada’s chicken salad. This recipe is not only light and healthy, but it’s so tasty and flavorful, that you would think it must have something bad in it. The worst thing in this salad is the olive oil! Swear!
All it takes is two roasted peppers, one yellow, one red, a red onion, a handful of capers and chives, and a whole chicken. You can either roast your own chicken, or get one of those pre-cooked rotisserie chickens from the market – either one is fine. Whatever you do, keep that carcass once you’re finished picking all the meat off. *ominous chicken stock reference* Stick it in the freezer. You won’t be sorry.
The dressing is a simple red-wine vinaigrette – red wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and a squirt of honey.
Mix everything together, and we’re done! Giada’s recipe calls to stuff lettuce leaves with the mixture. You can certainly do that, OR serve it over a bed of lettuce, OR just eat it like it is, in all of it’s healthy, tasty, light, & refreshing glory.
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper, julienned
- 1 Roasted Yellow Pepper, julienned
- 1 Small Red Onion, sliced
- 1/4 Cup Capers
- 2 Tablespoon Chives, sliced
- 1 Rotisserie chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, chopped finely and crushed
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Pepper to taste
- Place the peppers, onion, capers, chives, and chicken into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, add red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continually whisking. Pour dressing over chicken mixture and toss. Fill lettuce cups with mixture, or serve over a bed of lettuce.